Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Savoury Semolina, Zuccini and Carrot Cake

Inspired by Anjum Anand's recipe posted on Arundati's blog, I decided it was time I used my oven for something other than heating cold stuff up. I've been way too hesitant to give baking a try - mainly because I hate the sensation of my hands in that wet, gooey dough. But this recipe doesn't call for any dough to be made. There is no flour or egg involved - Semolina (sooji) is used as the base.

The recipe does call for yoghurt, which I promptly omitted and added olive oil instead. Also, I added zuccini and carrots to my cake mix.

When I did try this yesterday, I couldnt find any baking soda/powder. I figured, how important could this one teaspoon of baking soda be, after all?! Ok, so my cake would take longer to bake, big deal! Turns out, its quite important. The bake time calls for 30-40 minutes of baking, but mine took about 1.15 hrs. Half way through the bake process, my brother came in and promptly showed me where the baking powder is kept at home. So, I added some baking powder on top of my still-baking cake. I still didnt get a nice brown "cakey" crust, and I added more turmeric than I would have liked, but it was still nice to eat when warm.

Savoury Semolina Vegetable Cake

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup semolina
  • 1 cup tepid water
  • 2-3 tablespoons of olive/vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup peas
  • 1 cup grated zuccini
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1 tsp each chilli powder, turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda

For tempering:
  • 1 tbsp oilive oil
  • 1 tsp black mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds

To make:
Mix all ingredients except the baking soda and the tempering ingredients.
Heat a small fry pan and add the tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot, add the mustard and cumin seeds. Turn off the flame when the seeds start to crackle.
Pour this mixture into your cake batter. Mix well.
Add the baking powder.
Pour the mixture into a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Enjoy while still warm.  


Well, at least it wasn't a TOTAL disaster considering it was my first baking lesson.

Savoury Semolina, Zuccini and Carrot Cake on Foodista

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...